A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 19 July 2010

Cree Hunters Of Mistassini.

This is a great movie, and well worth watching. I have lived like this for many years, both in the Territory and here in NSW. Now I no longer need to hunt for food, but I am very glad to have had the experience.
You will note that the children learn at a very early age, and carry their own hatchets, my sons were brought up the same way, though the tomahawks they carry now are full size. A couple of other things you will note, the children are given plenty of opportunity to experience, they can touch the furs without being chastised. In white society children are often chastised for touching things that the adult considers there is no need to touch, regardless that it does no harm. Children can play with animal parts, just as a child I was able to pull the tendons on pheasant and chook legs to make the claws clench and unclench. This sort of experience is necassary if the child is to grow up not being repulsed by dead animals hunted for food.

6 comments:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

LL
Great movie, and Boyce who made it has recently started a new blog
boycerichardson.blogspot.com

interesting guy
SBW

Keith said...

Thanks for the feedback SWB, Boyce did a good job.

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

LL
I emailed him and told him so, we emailed back and forth - total gent of the old school.

This is what I love about blogging - one minute I'm talking crap to my friends, the next I'm conversing with a living legend - how cool is that!
SBW

Keith said...

That is pretty cool SBW, beats the hell out of using pidgeons.

Bob Mc said...

This was really excellent.

Keith said...

I thought so too Bob, glad you liked it.
Regards.