A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.
18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.
Saturday, 24 July 2010
18th Century Flip Recipe.
• 3 eggs
• 3 teaspoons sugar
• 1 jigger rum
• 1 jigger brandy
• 1 red-hot flip iron or poker heated in fireplace
• tall, all-pewter mug
• 12-16 ounces of beer
1. In a quart mug break three eggs
2. Add three teaspoons sugar and stir well
3. Add in the jigger of rum and the jigger of brandy, beating meanwhile.
4. Fill remaining volume of mug with beer
5. Insert red-hot iron until it hisses and foams.
6. The drink will become only warm.
. Flips were originally drunk aboard English ships where mixtures of rum, sugar, and eggs were heated with red-hot iron to create froth ("flipping").