A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 26 December 2011

18th Century Fishing.

One of the things I love about 18th century living history is that there is always more to learn, always more skills and activities to participate in. One never gets bored.
I do not consider myself a fisherman, but I do enjoy fishing for food. I have only caught trout and catfish, and I must admit that I liked the catfish better than the trout. My gear is pretty simple, and I do not as yet own any fly fishing gear, but I find the thought of making my own flies very interesting.
An 18th century horse hair fly fishing line.

Just one of the many period flies to be found at:

 My fishing tackle tin with linen lines and hand forged hooks with sinew leaders.


2 comments:

Bob Mc said...

Keith, you need to take your boots off and tie the line around your toe so it will wake you up when you have a bite. LOL.

Many years ago I saw a fly casting demonstration at a sportsman's show. There was a commercial salmon fly fisherman from Scotland there. He used an extremely long (by our standards) 2 handed fly rod. He could throw a fly a country mile with that rod, and drop it right on target too.

Keith said...

Thanks for the interesting info Bob, & for the tip. I did tie a heavy line round my steel camp chair many years ago, and a crock almost pulled me in! Glad I kept my boots on that day Bob!
Keith.