A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 16 October 2011

Foraging In Tamworth NSW. Birds, Ants and Vent Quills.

Recently I accompanied my wife on a trip to Tamworth, New England NSW. Whilst she was attending a management course in "The Dome" Sports Centre, I took the opportunity to do some foraging.
A trail made by ants leads to an ant nest.

There is the nest at the end of the trail. These meat ants [as I call them] can bite, so stay clear of these nests. Bull Ants nests are very similar and also to be avoided.

Our local Magpie, except for the colouring, quite different from those found in England or America.


Crested Pigeons.

Crested Pigeon in a tree.

This bird looks much like a smaller version of the magpie, and interestingly enough it bares a American woodland Indian name, Peewee, meaning "Little One".

What I think is a Scaly Breasted Lorikeet and another Peewee.

This reminds me of a Green Ant nest, but I am not sure what it is. Looks like it should be avoided anyway!

A Pigeon feather. I found two of these and one Magpie feather. All three just the right size to be used as vent quills.

2 comments:

Bob Mc said...

Keith, is that nest hanging in the tree a paper nest? Looks like a hornet nest here; definitely something to be avoided!

Keith said...

I don't think it is paper Bob but can't be sure. I have never seen one like this before. Green ants build a similar nest from leaves, but don't quite look like this one.
Regards.