A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Wednesday 12 February 2014

18th Century Tinder Box Types.

A wood tinder box showing the damper on the left for smothering the smouldering tinder, and a lid.

My brass tinder box which is a copy of an original. Those tinder boxes which are smaller and shallow I assume were for carrying on the person, either in a pocket or pouch. Though we can't say for sure that larger tinder boxes were not carried beyond the home.


My brass tinder box opened, showing the tinder inside.

A Dutch tinder box made from wood with a carved design and a sliding lid.

This is a Russian tinder box which appears to have a ceramic inlay to the hinged lid.

Four small tinder boxes with hinged lids.

This tinder box is dated 1734.

A wood tinder box with a sliding draw dated 1761. Wood tinder boxes were typically used in the home.

A brass Russian tinder box found in a shipwreck. Dated 1714.

This tinder box reminds me of a period spectacle case, and it may have been so. What is important is that it has been used as a tinder box. 

My copy of a candle holder tinder box. Again a clumsy shape to carry in a pouch or pocket and typically a style used in the home.

The same tinder box with a beeswax candle.

4 comments:

Grampa Glover said...

Great content as always, Keith! Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

This is fascinating!

I can't quite make out the scale in the top wooden what. Can you give us a rough idea of the dimensions?

(PS - seeing you a lot in print lately! Well done!)

Keith said...

Thank you Grampa Glover, you are most welcome.
Regards, Keith.

Keith said...

Good to hear from you again Jenny, I was wondering how you were getting on.
I would guess this wooden tinder box is about 6 & a quarter inches long not including the handle. About 3 inches wide, inside measurements. # inch chambers would seem about right to me, but I am only guessing.
Keith.