A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 6 May 2012

A Cartridge Box or Cartouche For Faster Reloads.


“a Gun, fit for service, a Cartouch Box, and a Sword, Cutlass, or Hanger, and at least Twelve Charges of Powder and Ball, or Swan Shot, and Six Spare Flints,”


"every soldier Shall be well provided with a well fixed gun or fuse, Sword or hatchet, Snapsack, Cartouche box,horn charger & flints". New Hampshire Militia Laws, Oct. 7, 1692.
"one good Musket, Fuzee or other Firelock, well fixed, a Cutlass, Bayonet or Tomahawk, a Cartouche Box filled with 12 or more Cartridges of Powder, 12 or more sizeable Bullets and 3 Good Flints." 1757.
 Belt loops on the back.
 The copper nail in the centre works like a button to secure the outer flap closure.

A cartridge box I made some time ago for militia use. Cartridges are a lot faster to reload.


2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Now that I've had my second-hand Hawken bored smooth, I guess I could consider doing something like that.

Keith said...

Sounds good to me Gorges. I have read that small calibre smoothbores were in use in the early days, 25 gauge if I remember correctly. Handy gun to have as a smoothbore.
Keith.