A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 20 September 2010

Questions, answers and options.

As you can imagine I get asked quite a lot of questions on various forums. For those of you who have wondered but never asked, and for those of you who may be interested in making the move to 18th century living history, here are some Q & A.



Q. You live in Australia, so why choose New World living history?
A. New world living history covers a much earlier period than does Australian. The New World had more nationalities than Australia. I have a larger choice of personas/characters, trades, skills, activities and scenarios, clothing styles, equipment. Because if I was living in England in the 18th century the New World is where I would want to be.
Q. Why choose the 18th century?
A. Because for me it just feels right, not too early so I am limited in technology and comfort, but not too late that I am into the industrial revolution. The 18th century New World gives me a large choice of period living skills and primitive native skills to learn and practice.
Q. Why get into 18th century living history in the first place, and what is so attractive about it?
A. I guess my early interest in woodsmen and the lifestyle plus the love of old guns led me into it in the first place. What I like about it is it is completely different from the 21st century. I guess it is a sort of escapism. Once you are wearing 18th century clothing and away from a modern environment, say in the woods for instance, you can get completely involved/immersed in the 18th century. It is as if you have gone back in time.
Q. What made you choose an English woodsman as a persona?
A. Again I guess because of my early interest as a kid in England in Daniel Boone. Actually when I first was introduced to living history by an American friend in the Territory, I was interested in the western Mountain Man fur trapper. But after I did some research I found that it was not really possible to emulate this character without a string of pack horses and a bag load of beaver traps! Then of course I remembered my early love of the Daniel Boone lifestyle, and my love of woodsrunning as a kid, and it all fell into place.
Q. If you like the early lifestyle in America so much, why did you choose to move to Australia?
A. Actually I did apply to move to America, this was over 40 years ago. But they turned my application down because basically I was not a scientist and they did not want any more ordinary trades people. So I applied to move to Australia, and they welcomed me with open arms.

2 comments:

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

Absolutely fascinating!

Keith said...

Glad you liked it Ramana.
Regards.