A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 15 January 2011

Skills & the Right Tool for The Job.

Many of you may already have seen this particular video of mine, but I am posting it again because it fits in with the present topic.  Take note of the skills used here, besides the obvious knowledge or ability to construct a primitive shelter.
Most modern bushcrafters say that carrying a tomahawk or belt axe is not necassary, that they can do all that a hatchet can with their bushcraft knife. Knives have specific purposes, though some knives are versitile enough to butcher game and use for camp chores, I still prefere to carry more than one knife and use the right knife for the job in hand. Knives to my knowledge never were designed to hack at wood or be driven through wood by hitting the back of the blade with a maul!
Anyway, for those of you who are interested in long term survival, I would like you to start thinking about the skills required as well as the tools & equipment NEEDED. 

4 comments:

Bob Mc said...

I'm with you on this Keith. I see some of the huge knives some people carry, supposedly to save weight, and I wonder what they are thinking. I can dress and skin anything from a fish to a deer or a bear with a pocket knife. Carry a hatchet for the heavy work.

Keith said...

Thanks Bob, I knew you would agree.
Regards.

Hutch said...

In regards to the oilcloth- I have read where something as light and thin as a cotton sheet can be used. Is that accurate? Or is there a certain point where the trade off of the weight of a cotton sheet is surpassed by the durability of, say, canvas. I have an olllllld WWII canvas tent. Would that be preferable next to a solid sheet if soaked with linseed oil? I realize it wouldn't be period correct, as your usage goes, but for now in these economic times, I have to make do with what I have on hand.

Keith said...

Hutch. Personally I would go with a strong canvas over an oiled cotton sheet. As a shelter it does recieve some rogh treatment at times and I don't think a thin cotton sheet would stand up to it.
You want it longer than it is deeper if not waterproofed (though there are some modern shop bought waterproof sprays available!). Keep the front as low as you can to stop rain coming in, but slant it steeply to the back for fast run-off. Also note that in the video I add a centre pole from front to back. This increases the run-off & gives you a little more head room.
I doubt there would be much difference in weight between an oiled sheet and a plain canvas, because the several layers of oil adds a lot of weight.