A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Blade Sharpening.

Each blade may have a different angle on its edge, the only way to get this angle right for each blade doing it 18th century style, is through observation and experimentation. I know right away as soon as I look at a blade at what angle to grind/sharpen it. After you have run the blade over the whet stone a few times, check the edge to make sure you have the same angle on both sides.

3 comments:

DwarvenChef said...

I'm currious as to what the coarsness of the wheel stone and flat stone is.

I'm sure it's alot coarser than my razor hones haha, but I don't know if I have any stones that level.

I'm also very interested in Natural stones and love to hear about any you may know about in your neck of the woods :)

Keith said...

I had a feeling this would draw you out my friend. The wheel stone is very course, and I do not use it on knives! The other one I have absolutely no idea what it is. With me stones are a little like muzzle-loading ballistics, it does not mean a lot to me. It either works or it does not.
I daresay my requirements do not match up with the needs of someone like yourself, I have seen you shaving with your knives! But my way works for me.
I don't know of any natural stones around here. I have picked up some in my travels from creek and river beds, and from the coast, but they have been poor at best, and I have no idea what they are.
Round here we have mostly trap rock. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Regards.

DwarvenChef said...

No problem :) I have a few older stones I got from my grandfathers wood shop, they are at least 50 years old and a couple are turn of the centry, best guess...

I use them for chopping tools as they are to coarse for knives.

I like your axes :)