A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Thursday 9 September 2010

Whale in The Thames.

(Reuters) - The skeleton of a huge whale, thought to have been butchered for its meat, bone and oils 300 years ago, has been discovered by archaeologists on the banks of London's River Thames.



  "They saw the whale one morning when the weather it was fair
the men were white as ghosts, but the Captain didn't care
I'll take this whale myself he said the weak can stay behind
The strong can share my glory and tonight they'll share my wine
Di Di Di Di Di Di Di Di"
Traditional folk song - 18th century?
Contributed By Dave Reid  http://www.blogger.com/profile/10686894099000443027
Thanks Dave.

2 comments:

David R. Reid said...

What a sight it must have been to common 18th century Londoners to see a whale carved up on the Thames. These whalers must have caused quite a commotion when they plied thier trade in that location...

"They saw the whale one morning when the weather it was fair
the men were white as ghosts, but the Captain didn't care
I'll take this whale myself he said the weak can stay behind
The strong can share my glory and tonight they'll share my wine
Di Di Di Di Di Di Di Di"

Traditional folk song - 18th century?

Keith said...

I agree Dave, it must have drawn quite a crowed. The article suggests that common people may have obtained meat from a landed whale.
Thanks for the folk song, I added it to the blog post.