A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 6 September 2010

The Sword, Finally Finished (I think).

Do you remember the broadsword I purchased?

First I removed the cloth, but I found that the guard still caught on my hand.

So I removed part of the guard. This was better but I found that I was unable to grip the hilt properly and control the blade. Part of the reason is artheritis in my hands and wrist, but the grip was still not right.

I took the old grip off and made a new one which was a little larger. In doing so I found that the genuine leather wrap on the grip was in fact imitation!

I also found that there should be a leather guard between the brass basket hilt guard and the blade. so I made and fitted one and oiled and beeswaxed the new grip.

Oh yes, and I shortened the blade! It is now the common length of a cutless and a few other lighter swords.

Now what can I do with the section of blade I cut off? Hmmm.

2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, the tapered edges rule out a slab-handled knife, but there's always the tang style. (Yes, I realize that was a rhetorical question, I just had the need to spout an opinion.)

Keith said...

I was thinking along the lines of a Sgian Dubh Gorges, there is enough to afford it a full tang.