A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 12 January 2013

The Man's Work Frock in New France. Part One.

Recently on another forum the use of the common work frock in New France has been questioned. This has mainly come about it seems because these French living historians had not actually ever heard of the work frock being in existance. So I have sort of opened a can of worms!

Okay, I can't at this stage in my research prove that the French work frock was used in New France, but it seems to me that if all other French clothing was taken to New France, why would the man's work frock be an exception? All I can do at this present time is show what I have for the use of the frock in France, but my research goes on.

18th century French peasants by artist George S. Stuart.
When I first saw this exhibit I wondered about the frock having no collar and no cuffs. Obviously the cuffs could have been there originally but are now missing from wear and tear. The collar could be the same, though I have seen a common French undershirt with no collar as in this next image.
© © National Gallery, London / Art Resource; 
As you can see, this common shirt does not appear to have a stand-up collar.
http://pinterest.com/textiletrunk/antique-vintage-french-fabric-and-textiles/; 
This French frock looks very much like the one in the exhibit at the top of this page. No buttoned cuffs, and no stand-up collar.
A French baker. 18th century.
The next eight images of French workers wearing the frock are from Diderot's Encyclopedia.













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a logical inference to think the work frock existed in New France. Seeing as it is just an overly large and heavy shirt.