A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 6 January 2013

Hemp Rope.

I have recently ordered my first length of hemp rope from overseas. At 6 cm it is probably more correct to call it "small stuff".  I like to carry a small length of rope in my pack just in case I need it for carrying or for getting game up off the ground for dressing. Even though I started skinning and butchering game on the ground so am well used to doing it this way, for smaller game than buffalo or wild boar I find it easier to field dress game on a Gambrel.  Rope is also useful for securing two people together in difficult steep terrain, which I have had to do on occasion.


One of two gambrels that I made to use at home. In the woods I just use a strong piece of wood.
Jan Josef Horemans I  ( 1682 – 1759 )
A stick is being used here too, roped to a ladder.









5 mm hemp rope.

A rope fragment from the Mary Rose.
The old rope walk at Coalbrookdale, England.
A German rope maker about 1460-1480.
A rope maker at work, c. 1425





4 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't know if it's true, but I've read that the whole reason that marijuana is illegal in the United States is because big pulp companies and rope-producing oil companies wanted to get rid of hemp to promote their own business interests.

Jenny said...

VERY cool!

I just ordered some myself - want to pick up some 18th-19th c. maritime experience. :)

Keith said...

Gorges, would not surprise me at all.

Jenny. Good one.

Keith.

Cincinnatus said...

Corporate Oligarchy? i.e. the Royal East India Company ;)
As Solomon said, "There is nothing new under the sun."


Thanks for the post and the artwork included!

-Cincinnatus

http://johannfactotum.blogspot.com/