The outer fibres of the bark have been removed, and I soaked the bark in water for 24 hours or until the bark sinks to the bottom.
The bark is shaped and I have made a leather welt (above and below).
Here I have stitched the bark sheath edges with linen thread. The holes are made with an awl wide apart so as not to split the bark.
Covered with leather (above and below.
The finished product with the knife it was made for. Beading is #7 French white glass beads.
This is the knife reshaped (above and below).
I did also experiment making a bark sheath from green bark of the Stringybark, but after it dried it curled and distorted. I found the best way is to use dried bark, soak it in water for roughly 24 hours or until it sinks, heat it over a hot fire, bend it and add weights. Then whilst it is still damp, cut it to shape with a tomahawk and knife. Before adding the outer leather sheath I also thinned the bark with my jack knife to reduce bulk and weight.
I have made a video, and will post it later.