A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 4 October 2010

Where you come from matters.



This may seem a strange video to be showing here, but it holds some interesting information. Authenticity versus myth for one thing, and for another the fact that early history shapes our lives later on.



Too many living historians concentrate only on their persona/character in a particular period. Let us say for instance that you are interpreting and English woodsman in 1742 as I am. I did not just suddenly appear in 1742 dressed in 1742 style clothing and using 1742 equipment, I have a history before 1742, and that history shapes who and what I am now.


If it is 1742 now, then I was born in 1680 somewhere in England. Who and what were my Father and his Father before him? What was I doing as soon as I was allowed out and about on my own? Did I work for my Father? When I arrived in the New World in 1700, had I any experience in trapping and hunting? What equipment did I bring from home?


It is reasonable to suppose that if I was 20 years of age when I arrived in the New World that I would possess items made in the 17th century, and some of those items would still be with me in 1742. By the age of 20 coming from a working family in a small country village in England, it is likely that I have formed my own opinions on what clothing I like to wear, which clothing wears best and affords me the most protection. So now let’s for arguments sake move me forward in time to 1750. I am now in my 70s, and the clothing fashions are changing. Do I care about fashions born in Europe or England? No probably not. I like the way I am and the way I dress, I think the shorter weskits are silly and not practical. Why should I think of changing now?


So here we are back in 2010, what do you own that was not made in 2010?




4 comments:

Jenny said...

I *love* that series. :)

A couple additions, from growing up here in the States. First, generally speaking the back country frontiersmen of Scottish extraction, especially from Pennsylvania and points South, looked to be mostly Ulster Scots, and during the colonial period thought of themselves less as Scotsmen than as Protestant Irish.

That changed a few generations later when the Sir Walter Scott's highlands novels got so popular in the 19th c, at around the same time as the influx of Catholic Irish made more politic/stylish to call one's extraction Scottish.

The Scots highlander of screen romance were (mostly) farther on up New York and Canada, and when the time came tended to be Loyalists.


Of course, you probably know all that already, but to this Appalachian kid used to Highland Games and seeing half the county "celebrating their heritage" in tartan it was an eye opener. :)



... So for myownself, I have a copy of a 1750's Hibernia penny with a nice pretty harp on it for a pendant as a similar "from once upon a time" remembrance.


That said, I've been warned that as people generally had fewer clothes - and physical outdoor labor was more universal - that clothes wore out through daily use at a not inconsiderable pace ... so even though they were a considerable investment, one would not likely be *too* far behind the times, except perhaps as a matter of personal taste. Not unlike driving a 1985 car in 2010 - it's done, but it's not common - and said car is usually either beat to heck, almost dead, and being used 'cause it's all someone can afford - or it's been preserved for a particular reason.

Could you speak to that?


Finally -
Given the tenor of the times, might one of a "history buff" mentality in that day and age be likely to have pseduo-Classical accouterments of some kind? I've seen in Williamsburg a guitar - I think - with a body very much in the shape of a lyre.

Of course, that's probably getting way too meta. :)

Keith said...

Hi Jenny. Re the early clothing in a later period. Clothing would of course wear out in time, the clothing was made on the frontier, so you could have whatever style you prefered. I will post an image on the bottom of this last article.

I would imagine quite a lot of old items were used in the later period, you simply need a good story to justify it.
Regards.

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

Fascinating. I have been to Scotland a number of times, and on every trip I grew to love the place more. I have two delightful nephews who are half Scottish and born in Edinburgh. I am sending this link to them and their mother. I have learnt something more about Scotland than I knew hitherto thanks to this post. Thank you LL.

Keith said...

Me too Remana, there is always more to learn. I am pleased that you liked it, and thanks for spreading my fame abroad ;)
Regards.