A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 6 October 2012

Made My First Clasp Knife.

I have wanted to have a go at making a clasp knife for a long time now. Finally today I decided to have a go.  The metal from an old blade I used could have been a little larger, it made it difficult getting a decent shape out of it. Anyway, not too bad for a first attempt, I think I will do better next time.
 This is what I started off with, not the best!

 This is the clasp knife I made out of the blade.

I only used common hand tools, no fancy stuff. The blade had been hand forged by the look of the tang. I was able to work it with a good metal file.

8 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Good job of peening!

Sandra Brake said...

Bravo Keith. Looks great. I love stuff like this. They should have let me do the manual arts stuff at school instead of home economics. ; )

elmo iscariot said...

Friction folder, or is it using something for a backspring?

Vieuxbois said...

Hello Keith,

Very very nice Keith! In France we would say that ''Vous avez des mains en or'' : You have some gold hands.

I love the blade design, not too large, very practical. And these old carbon steel are the finnest.

What's the wood?


Best regards,
Stef

Keith said...

A traveller in time. It is never too late to learn something new or different.
Regards, Keith.

Keith said...

Friction Elmo.
Keith.

Keith said...

Thank you Gorges.
Keith.

Keith said...

Vieuxbois. I have no idea what the wood is, but it is red & very hard. It was an old fence dropper.
Regards, Keith.