A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday, 6 October 2012

Made My First Clasp Knife.

I have wanted to have a go at making a clasp knife for a long time now. Finally today I decided to have a go.  The metal from an old blade I used could have been a little larger, it made it difficult getting a decent shape out of it. Anyway, not too bad for a first attempt, I think I will do better next time.
 This is what I started off with, not the best!

 This is the clasp knife I made out of the blade.

I only used common hand tools, no fancy stuff. The blade had been hand forged by the look of the tang. I was able to work it with a good metal file.

8 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Good job of peening!

A traveller in time said...

Bravo Keith. Looks great. I love stuff like this. They should have let me do the manual arts stuff at school instead of home economics. ; )

elmo iscariot said...

Friction folder, or is it using something for a backspring?

Vieuxbois said...

Hello Keith,

Very very nice Keith! In France we would say that ''Vous avez des mains en or'' : You have some gold hands.

I love the blade design, not too large, very practical. And these old carbon steel are the finnest.

What's the wood?


Best regards,
Stef

Le Loup said...

A traveller in time. It is never too late to learn something new or different.
Regards, Keith.

Le Loup said...

Friction Elmo.
Keith.

Le Loup said...

Thank you Gorges.
Keith.

Le Loup said...

Vieuxbois. I have no idea what the wood is, but it is red & very hard. It was an old fence dropper.
Regards, Keith.