A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Tuesday 2 October 2012

18th century, but still in use.

 The 20 gauge wad punch is early to mid 18th century & was my Father's and probably my Grandfather's and I am still using it.
 This 17th century lath hatchet was also passed down through the family.
 The 18th century compass (caliper type) top right was my Father's.
This 18th century writing box is another family item and I used it as a child and still do. On top is my 18th century book of Shakespear, and the silver cup is another family item.
So when thinking about your period equipment etc, take into account that it is perfectly acceptable to have in your posession items from an earlier period. Just because you are interpreting say 1740, that does not mean that everything you have should date to 1740.
"… every one retains the same garb their ancestors wore in the days of Hugh Capet and King Pippin, each man religiously preserving his vast blue trunk breeches … and a coat almost like a Dutch froes vest, or one of your Waterman liveries …"‘The Fief of Sark’ by Ewen & De Carteret Mid 17thc.

No comments: