A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Wednesday 9 December 2015

The Left Hand Lock Pistol.

I have had requests to show my left hand pistol in more detail. The lock plate is brass, & the cannon barrel is brass (possibly bronze) & .70 caliber. This is an antique, but it came with no history & no maker's marks. More than likely French going by the cock design, stock & cannon barrel.  Not all makers would mark their guns.
But searching further, I came across some French pistols made by Duval a Nantes made in the mid 18th century. I think there is a very good chance that my pistol is an earlier Nantes. If it is a Nantes, why didn't he mark it? Possibly because it was one of his first guns? Did he make this whilst in an apprenticeship working for another gun maker? Or could it have something to do with it being left handed? We/I may never know.
There is also the possibility that this was made by someone else copying the Nantes. Any thoughts? 







Made By French pistol maker Duval a Nantes.