A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 12 December 2015

The Kevin "Kiev" J. Kirby Water Canteen.

Kevin recently purchased this hollowed log water canteen pictured below, & kindly gave me permission to show it on this blog. By its size I would say it is a personal water bottle & not a field canteen which is unusual for this type of manufacture. Being a hollowed log type I really don't expect to find another exactly like it, but there may be similar ones. If anyone can add any information on this canteen, Kevin & I would very much appreciate it.
Because of its individual nature, I find it hard to date. At a guess I would say anywhere from mid 18th century to early 19th century. Following is a description supplied by Kiev:



"The canteen measures about 8 1/4" tall and 4" diameter at the base, which tapers slightly to about 3 1/2". The cylinder is a single piece of carved wood (not staved), and the brass bands appear to be hand-forged with dovetail joins. There are two openings at the top, one with a decorative brass spout".







A beautiful water bottle, if it was mine, I would be using it !
Keith.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have one of these, but it is more ornate - just happened across your site and saw the similarities!

Unknown said...

I have one of these, but perhaps a lot more ornate! Mine is a darker wood with three more decorated bands.