A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Friday 15 July 2011

Another Knapsack.

This knapsack started life as a haversack just like mine, but this one I found in an op-shop for $2.00. This all cotton knapsack had a front pocket & flap. I picked out the stitching & removed the flap, & stitched the pocket closed to add strength. The closure straps & cheap alloy buckles I removed, and added 3 bone buttons plus of course 3 sewn buton holes in the flap closure. Three buttons seem to have been most popular, but two button closures were also used.
In the same manner as my own knapsack in the previous post, I cut the carry strap & added two leather shoulder straps & buckles. Instead of a chest strap, I simply added a leather tie. It worked out very well & has made a good inexpensive knapsack.


No comments: