This is a list of basic skills in which I personally would expect an 18th century woodsman or woods-woman to have some experience with.
· Flint & steel fire lighting
· Wet weather fire lighting
· Fire-bow fire lighting
· Flintlock fire lighting
· Flintlock use, service & repair
· Field dressing & butchering game
· Blade sharpening
· Tomahawk throwing
· Making rawhide
· Brain tanning
· Primitive shelter construction
· How to stay warm in winter with only one blanket
· Cordage manufacture
· Moccasin construction and repair
· Axe and tomahawk helve making
· Reading sign
· Woods lore
· Primitive trap construction & trapping
· Open fire cooking
· Fireplace construction
· Clothing manufacture
· Drying meat & other foods
· Knowledge of plant tinders & preparation
· Knowledge of native foods & preparation
· Knowledge of native plants in the area and their uses for other than tinder and food.
· Basic first aid.
· Finding and treating water.
· General leather work.