A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Firearms, Traps & Tools of the Mountain Men, By Carl P. Russel.

My friend over at www.thesharpenedaxe.blogspot.com  mentioned this book in his comments today, so I think it is only right that I post an image of this book here. This is an excellent book for the later period, the 19th century, but it has got some earlier equipment in its pages. As I mentiond before, the fur trade started much earlier than the Rocky Mountain beaver trapper period, so it only stands to reason that there be earlier equipment being used in a later period. This is something to pay attention to when interpreting, you did not just suddenly appear in 1825 with all 1825 equipment, you have a history!


Author's copy scanned.
My thanks to my friend over at the sharpened axe for reminding me about this book.
http://www.thesharpenedaxe.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

DianeLynn said...

Though I do not know my way around these tools/weapons, I do like the one with the fringe bag/holder...lol must be the native in me!

Unknown said...

i have recently aquired a copy keith ,a different cover though..got to get around to reading it soon.cheers ..happy xmas m8.hope your not too hot while we all shiver..