A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Tuesday 29 March 2016

My Original 18th Century Fire Steel Update.


Some of you may remember that I acquired an original 18th century fire steel some time ago. I decided to add it to my equipment replacing the copy that I had been using. I found however that the original did not spark as well as the copy, so I re-hardened the steel in the fire. The results were no better, but I decided to keep it & use it anyway. If that was the way it was, then that is how I will use it.
I have seen in some videos copies of fire steels that shed an enormous amount of sparks as if they are coated with some radioactive material. There was such a product sold many years ago for coating the steel on a flintlock, but I think it was removed from sale!!!
Keith.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Keith,
The radioactive material was depleted uranium and was sold as "Moon metal for frizzen facing". I've never seen the stuff in person, but it is highly dangerous and thus was banned a long time ago.

Unknown said...

The moon metal sparked like this: http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/HammTest3.gif

Keith said...

Thank you J.Barlow, that was the stuff I was talking about. Spot on.
Regards, Keith.