The leather for my basket hilt sword is quite heavy, and there were three layers to get through. So I found it easier to clamp the pieces together and use a drill in stead of an awl.
I did not have enough length of leather to make this scabbard in one piece, so I had to add a piece on the end.
At the hilt end of the scabbard I added an extra strengthening piece which you can also see in the image below.
After the main body of the scabbard was finished, I covered the whole in clothing weight leather.
The hanging straps are from some old horse tackle that I had laying around. I am not claiming that this is a copy of any original, it is simply the best I could come up with in my limited skills at scabbard making.
This is my hunting sword and scabbard, which was a little easier to make, because it is short and all one piece construction. I did use an awl on this one.
This is the leather scabbard frog I made up based on a Ranger frog used for a bayonet. I wanted an angle on the sword so it would not just hang down straight.
Original 18th century sword and frog.
The backs of two frogs.
More sword frogs.