A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Friday 17 January 2014

The Weight Of Lead Versus Gunpowder.

Lead is heavy, and it is probably the heaviest item I carry in my knapsack other than my brass trade kettle. However, I limit how much lead I carry, and I carry more gunpowder in my powder horn and in my gunpowder wallets than is needed for the amount of lead that I carry. Why more gunpowder than lead? Because every time I shoot game, I retrieve the lead from the animal during the skinning and butchering process, and I then remould this lead so I can use it again. So the more gunpowder I carry, the longer I can remain in the wilderness without having to seek out a trader. I only have to carry this pack until I get to my destination.
A good trap line also saves on powder and lead. I hunt on the way back each day after checking my trap line. If I have meat enough to eat from the trap line, then I don't need to hunt. But if my traps for larger game are empty, then there is still a chance of getting something on the way back home.
Also I always carry some fishing tackle for set lines or regular fishing with a pole.
My Powder Horn.

Two of five Gunpowder Wallets.


The Ball Bag which I carry in my shot pouch.

Lead carried in the knapsack.


Lead ladle and two moulds. One for ball, and one for goose shot.



Fishing tackle carried in my belt pouch.

3 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I imagine that you use lesser charges than a lot of guys over here. A lot of folks seem to think that you should always shoot a maximum charge. As you know, that's foolishness.

Lori Benton said...

Great photos. Thanks for all that explanation. I'm filing it away for future novels. :)

Keith said...

That's right Gorges, not quite sure what all that is about. Being a real man perhaps? :)
Keith.