A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Bra not a modern invention? 15th Century bra unearthed

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/bra-not-a-modern-invention-15th-century-bra-unearthed/975685/

Of course it could be possible that these underpants were only worn during the woman's menstrual cycle to hold some form of pad in place. During the early to mid 18th century I believe it was considered not healthy for women to wear underpants, but I wonder if something like this was used at times?

3 comments:

Sara Seydak said...

Very interesting! It almost looks like somebody went timetravelling into the past and forgott their underware. :) Similar was used by female gladiators in the Roman Empire.

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

What a world we live in! I read about an article from an Indian newspaper in your blog referring to a discovery in Austria!

Keith said...

Sara, I thought the same thing. I also considered that it may have been a modern bra placed in a historical place!? Thanks for the info re female gladiators Sara.
Keith.

I agree Ramana, the internet makes such a difference. At one time primitive skills could have been lost for ever, but now someone on the other side of the world recieves a post I make in real time.
Keith.